Senior Social Scientist
NOAA Office of Program Planning and Integration
Silver Spring, MD
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) www.imsg.com is looking to hire a Senior Social Scientist for a highly visible office in NOAA: Office of Program Planning & Integration (PPI) in Silver Spring, MD. The incumbent will provide direct support to the NOAA Chief Economist/Social Scientist, Assistant Administrator, and NOAA Senior Leadership. Working with the Chief Economist/Social Scientist, the Senior Social Scientist provides expertise on economics and social science to promote sound analyses for policy and programmatic decision making.
Job Duties Include:
1. Improve coordination and quality of NOAA’s cross-line social science efforts:
- Establish or repurpose a cross-line senior socioeconomic group to collaborate and leverage expertise across NOAA;
- Work with cross-line senior socioeconomic group to develop standard guidance for conducting valuation studies;
- Coordinate and organize the social science community of practice (in conjunction with the Vice Chair of the Research Council’s Social Science Committee).
2. Work with social scientists within NOAA, and with other bureaus in the Department of Commerce, to improve and maintain the rigor of NOAA’s high-profile economic data.
- Review existing, new, and proposed NOAA’s economic databases and websites and provide PPI-approved statistics and guidance via the web;
- Work with the line office social science leads to update NOAA’s PPI-approved economic statistics;
- Work with the National Climate Data Center to improve and maintain the rigor that NOAA uses to estimate the economic impacts of extreme weather and climate events;
- Work with the Coastal Services Center and the Bureau of Economic Analysis to establish and maintain an ocean and coastal satellite account that meets the needs of NOAA leadership and stakeholders.
3. Advance initiatives to improve understanding and management of ecosystem services, and the benefits they create for society.
4. Improve coordination and collaboration on socioeconomic datasets and initiatives at the interagency level.
- Master’s degree in relevant Social Science discipline, PhD preferred
- Experience translating social science findings and methods for policy and program outcomes
- Ability to simultaneously oversee and manage multiple activities, coordinate the work of others, and integrate the work into a complete product.
- Familiarity with NOAA policies, procedures and stakeholders preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and data analysis software
- Strong customer service background and focus
- Innovative, proactive approach to work
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the needs of this requirement to email@example.com with the following subject heading: NOA12025- Senior Social Scientist.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.