Support Scientist II – Monsoon Desk
NOAA’s Environmental Modeling Center (EMC)
National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP)
College Park, MD
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG), (http://www.imsg.com), a Federal Government Contractor, is seeking to fill a position for a Support Scientist II to work at NOAA's Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) located in College Park, MD. The successful candidate will provide support to the Monsoon Modeling Desk. The Monsoon Modeling Desk within the NCEP’s EMC supports the sharing of NCEP numerical guidance systems as cited in the Implementing Agreement on Technical Cooperation for the Study of Dynamical Seasonal Prediction of Indian Summer Monsoon Rainfall between the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of the Republic of India and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the Government of the United States.
This position is located at the NOAA NCEP Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) in College Park, Maryland. The candidate will work closely with other NCEP scientists on the continued development, testing, and evaluation of the Global Climate and Weather Forecast Systems including the Global Data Assimilation System (GDAS), Global Forecast System (GFS) and the Climate Forecast System (CFS). The candidate will be the primary point of contact for international interactions associated with the above numerical guidance systems between NOAA/NCEP/EMC and the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of the Republic of India.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Serves as the point of contact (POC) for questions on NCEP modeling systems (GDAS, GFS, GEFS and CFS) cited in Implementing Agreement from the Indian Institute of Tropical meteorology (IITM), India Meteorological Department (IMD), and the National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF)
- Develops, encourages and participates in joint scientific projects between NCEP/EMC and India associated with model assessment and development designed to improve performance of the operational systems
- Provides code updates to IITM, IMD and NCMRWF as they become operational at NCEP
- Answers questions about global model systems after code transferred from NCEP to Indian Centers
- Coordinates and manages visits of Indian scientists to EMC
- Plans, coordinates and manages visits of EMC personnel to India
- Coordinates appropriate EMC monsoon modeling desk projects with CPC monsoon training desk
- Maintains the Monsoon Modeling desk Web site @ http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/monsoondesk
- M.S. and 2 years equivalent experience in atmospheric science or related degrees. Specifically, the successful candidate should have scientific expertise in global medium-range to seasonal-to-interannual prediction problems.
- Ability to develop and write programs and scripts using FORTRAN 90/95, C, and UNIX, and must be capable of working in a massively parallel computing environment.
- Ability to work in both a UNIX and LINUX environment.
- Programming experience on IBM iDataPlex clustered systems.
- Experience working with Gridded Binary version 2 (GRIB2) formatted model forecast data.
- Experience working with large-scale atmospheric numerical prediction models.
- Experience in basic Web page development and maintenance is also desirable.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the following subject line: EMC Support Scientist II – Monsoon.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran friendly.